Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Five Year Olds Authors in September

I LOVE Kindergarten writing this time of year. Some children are just drawing pictures. Some of the pictures are just stick figures while others include many details and a rainbow of colors. The children are just beginning to understand that they can use letters to write some of the stories that they are able to tell in such detail. They are labeling their pictures -some with a single letter. Others are s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out words and writing all of the sounds they here. Today a child even asked for a third piece of paper to continue her story. Some of the children write in straight lines that look like a long string of letters and others write their letters all over the paper. I think the reason I love writing this time of year is because I also know what it will look like at the end of the year and these baseline pieces will be a great reminder of where it all started.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

It really is amazing to see how far students come from the beginning of kindergarten to the end. Midway through the year, you almost have to remind yourself where they started, because their growth is almost unbelievable. You know, I have a special place in my heart for kindergarten teachers, because simply put...I don't know how they do it!