Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Tour Around First Grade

I was roaming the halls this morning - walking through each first grade teacher's room, looking for things I thought you'd find interesting. I am sure I missed many things, but here is a peek inside some of our eight first grade classrooms as we begin the year.

What I have learned about teachers this year, being back in the thick of having a homeroom, is what I've always known. Teachers work really, really hard. Even after all these years I couldn't get my room ready in the 5 pre-planning days that the district pays me for, even though I basically knew what I wanted and where everything should go. It took nine days - long 8 'til 8 days - and even that didn't leave me with the feeling that I had done everything I needed to do. I was also reminded once again that teachers are grossly underpaid. While the District argues over teachers getting their promised pay increase (step), those of us at the top of the pay scale will get the same $500 that we got last year  and the year before and the year before which means no raise for us. Eventually I will get $200 discretionary money for starting my classroom although I already have spent over $800 on my new classroom in this new year. I am not sure that parents or even administrators appreciate what teachers do every day, just because they want to do what is best for the children that walk through their doors, and just because they really love what they do. Somehow no mater where I go or how many years I teach, I am always impressed with the teachers that I call my peers, and especially with those that have such a deep passion for their work - those that I call my friends...

2 comments:

Maria Mallon & Cheryl Dillard said...

I guess it all comes so naturally. we really don't think about all the thought, hours, and money behind each decision. Everyone's classroom has unique features - as unique as each child we teach. It is wonderful to see all the displays and ideas created by our 1st grade team :) MM

Suzanne said...

We really are part of a special place. I'm always impressed by the teachers thoughtfulness and preparation. Each classroom looks great and the school as a whole is glowing.